Metal fitters and machinists work with metal parts, fitting and assembling them, setting up machining tools, production machines and operating machining tools and machines to shape metal stock and castings.
- Fitting fabricated metal parts into products and assembling metal parts and subassemblies to produce machines and equipment.
- Studying drawings and specifications to determine suitable material, method and sequence of operations and machine settings.
- Checking fabricated and assembled metal parts for accuracy, clearance and fit using precision measuring instruments.
- Cutting, threading, bending and installing hydraulic and pneumatic pipes and lines.
- Diagnosing faults and performing operational maintenance of machines as well as overhauling and repairing mechanical parts and fluid power equipment.